Moments I want to remember...

Friday, February 10, 2006

Awakening


Last night was an eye opener in our household for the grown-ups. The kids have a Valentine dance today at school and the girls’ have been really excited about it. Last Friday, Ty was asked by three boys to go to the dance and that was funny. She explained to me that she already told one of them no because he is weird, but she kinda like the other two, my response to that was, “See how easy it was for you to tell the first boy No, it will be just as easy to tell the other No too”. She wasn’t extremely happy with that response, but took it with a grain of salt. Later I talked to her and here is how it went:

Me: Ty, at what age do you think you should be able to have a boyfriend, because you do know that you aren’t allowed to have one now, right?
Ty: Yes, Mom, I don’t want a boyfriend now, it’s just a dance. Ummmmm (thinking about my original question) When I am 13 right?
Me: Oh FU%$ NO (just kidding that’s what I wanted to say) Baby, that’s still too young, I mean that’s in less than two years. So, do you want me to tell you the age?
Ty: Yes (like whateva Mom)
Me: 17, by that time you will be more mature and able to date.
Ty: 17, Maaaaaaahhhhhhom, are you serious, how about 15
ME: If you have straight A’s than we’ll talk about it, but don’t even come to me talk to me if that isn’t the case, deal!
Ty: Deal, but what if I get a B after I have a boyfriend, what happens
Me: Well, you won’t have a boyfriend anymore if you aren’t 17 yet, you can tell him you need to take a “break”, until your grades are up.
Ty: Buuuuttttttttttt Mom, that’s not fair
Me: And what does Mommy always tell you, “Life’s
Ty: Not fair, well , okay, than it’s a deal.

After that I just had to sit and think about what I just agreed too, what was I thinking??? I don’t want my babies to be like I was or go through what I went through at such an early age. I don’t want the focus to be boys like it was for me, I would rather it be sports or school work, I guess that’s what every mother wants, huh? Not realistic, but I will try my hardest to make that a reality.

So, back to last night, the Ty and Hannah were talking about what they were going to wear and who they hoped went, blah, blah, blah and out of no where, Tricia asks to get her hair done, WTF, come on. So, I told her I didn’t have money and she said she would use hers just like Ty did, but she really wants to get it done, a boy asked her too. So, I call their stylist and she is out sick, call her cell and she says if I can get her in tomorrow by 5 she will be ready by the dance. So, at this point all three girls are all giddy and EJ (the boy of the house) says, “I don’t want to go”, Aim and I tell him he doesn’t have to and we head to Target to get the girls shirts to wear with jeans (yeah to jeans and not skirts). So, a couple hours later when we return and show the girls their new clothes and settle in to watch OC and do hair, EJ asks Aim if she has a clip on tie, what, she tells him no, why and now he wants to go to the dance. About 30 minutes later he asks Daddy to cut his hair and Sean jumps at that opportunity, the boy has needed a haircut for a few weeks now. So, now he wants to go too, we asked the girls if they had anything to do with him changing his mind, but they said No, all they were doing was talking about how excited they were to go.

So, at the end of the day all four kids are going to the dance and are excited ages 7-11 and us grown-ups have a new awakening about our babies and them not so much being babies anymore.

2 Comments:

  • My first boyfriend was in 7th or maybe 8th grade and all we did was hold hands and sneak in lil kisses. I didn't get into kisses w/tongue till 9th grade and that was it. Thennnnnn, heavy petting came around 10th grade or so. I'm sharing too much, aren't I?

    All I'm trying to say is that everyone is different with what they're comfortable with and when but from the things I hear about teens developing earlier when it comes to their sexuality these days, I supposed I'd worry too if I were you. Luckily the girls aren't really like that right now. :-)

    By Blogger Claudia, At 2:09 PM  

  • Lucky, they are lucky cause if they were they'd be dead and wouldn't be here, :) Just kidding

    Share as much as you want, I went for the first kiss to homebase w/in months of eachother, very young. When I look back at picutes it makes me sick, literally how little I was.

    By Blogger Harmony, At 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home