Moments I want to remember...

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Middle School Orientation

I took the girls for orientation yesterday. They are going in to Middle School and I am just blown away. I mean it didn’t really hit me until yesterday when we walked in the school and cheerleaders are running around, there are lockers down the halls, but the punch to the gut was buying the gym uniforms. Standing in line I was fine, but when it came time to hold them up to them and figure out sizes, it was like someone took my breath away.

Immediately I started reminiscing about my first day of middle school and couldn’t believe MY kids were now going, granted I started middle school in 7th grade, but holy cow I remember it so clearly. I remember how nervous I was and how I went from very out going to kinda shy. Granted, I also moved over the summer and was going to not only middle school, but a new school as well where I didn’t know anyone. At least my girls know lots of kids and have also met some others that didn’t go to their elementary school at the pool this summer. I remembered my first crush and my first heart break, although neither was really significant, they felt very real during those years. I remember getting involved with the “Popular” crowd and pulling myself out quick and finding two plain Jane girls who I became best friends with and hung out with for those two years. I remember hating it because it was not a diverse school. We moved from the ghetto to a more prestige area and I freaked out. I remember changing for gym and everyone was so shy and I had no shame and was very confused about if we are all girls, why are ya'll freaks going to change in the little bathroom stalls? This will be my Tricia too, I think. I don't even know how to prepare them except to continue to be positive and encouraging and most of EXCITED because "this is soooo coool", AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

So, I am feeling all these things and walking my “Babies” around the school and introducing them to teachers and just numb to all that is going on around me because I can’t believe that these years have gone by so fast and where did they go? I do have a million pictures I can pull up to tell me where the years went, but it won’t help the scared feeling I have in my tummy for all that is to come for my babies in the next few years. All we will go through together and get through together, all the questions, the fears, anxieties, happy times, BOYS, hanging out, dances, crushes, heart breaks, secrets, tears, joys, emotions and so much more.

THANK GOODNESS I have a strong support of friends around me the girls trust because I know they will be calling you all as well!!!! My little babies that came out weighing less then 4 lbs together have grown in to these beautiful young ladies that I can’t be more proud of!!! I love you my Angels and Mommy is always here for you both!

6 Comments:

  • Did you threaten all their teachers? Like give each of them a bone crushing hand shake while looking them intensely in the eyes and saying "I just want to let you know that my little girls are straight 'A' students. Let's not have any misunderstandings about that, ok?"

    You should.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:23 PM  

  • Gib, with you as their tutor I didn't think about that, DAMN, I thought you their back in the "smarts" area.

    By Blogger Harmony, At 4:04 PM  

  • Just 4 or so more years and it's on... My lil designated drivers are the cutest. So excited for them. This is really a big step for them. Hmmm, I smell a slumber party w/them. Need to make it happen asap.

    By Blogger Claudia, At 4:28 PM  

  • oh! oh! oh! slumber party!

    By Blogger Tricia, At 8:07 PM  

  • Yea, I am gearing up for the BIG slumber party tomorrow night with countem, not 4, not 6, not even 8, but 10, maybe 12 girls!!! Am I just crazy? Why do I do these things to myself?? Cause it's fun, I love my girls and it makes me the coolest Mom.

    By Blogger Harmony, At 8:11 AM  

  • You are the coolest Mom and what a brave one at that. Because I was given the stink eye, I came back to read more details so that I'm not the hypocrite. ;-) Yeah, I remember the awkwardness for me too in middle school but for me it was because of my personality type in general. I'm always intimidated by such new surroundings and new people. My defenses and self doubt are up too much and it took a toll on my middle and high school experience. Your girls won't have to deal w/that though. The way they demand attention and radiate love and happiness, they'll be just fine. Loved seeing them tonight and having Tricia just come and hug me while I was sitting on the couch and tell me she loved me. It was so random really because we were in the middle of talking and hearing Tyra do her cheers and when Tricia did come to me to shower me w/love I pulled a Mr. Sunderland on her and whispered that she was my favorite. She just giggled and hugged me tighter. Score! I totally won more of my pah'tners lover.

    Ok, enough rambling. I did read this though, see? :-P

    Love you Sunshine.

    By Blogger Claudia, At 1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home